12.21.2010

Adventures of a Bride-to-Be

I think this week it finally hit me the I am soon-to-be a "Colgan". A Bowyer-Colgan, actually, since I have decided to keep my maiden name. Though some may not understand, I love my name, I love the way it sounds - "Alyson Margaret Bowyer" - and it has been with me for 27 years. When filling out our paperwork for the officiant, Wes really found out that I wanted to keep my name. I truly feel like he is completely okay with my decision and just wants me to have it the way I want it to be. He knows I am very excited to take his last name, as the Colgan's have been nothing but wonderful since the first time I have met them. They have always welcomed me and my family with open arms.

(with the Colgan family at the cabin learning a family recipe)

(me being crazy in San Ysidro)

(Family photo from Christmas last year)

This past week our officiant sent over a breakdown of the wedding. In complete detail from walking in, how we want to be announced, readings and vows. It really made me feel like this is all really happening in less than 5 months. I am super excited to be marrying Wes, be a a part of his family, him be a part of mine and us to create our own. After considering all our options for the ceremony, one we have decided on is that Wes and I are going to write our own vows as well as use traditional vows. There are may things I want to make sure I include in my vows, so I have started keeping a piece of paper with me to make sure if I have any thoughts to write them down right away!

For starters, here is the poem we are incorporating into the wedding.
"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same.

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Wedding planning status:
First dance: Narrowing down from 2 songs
Invitations: Working on them
Officiant: Working on wedding outline

Always with Love,
Aly

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails