We love working on wedding invitations and calligraphy, but every now and then we get to work on other events. We are especially happy when one of those other events is a charity event such as the annual fundraiser by 1 Dream Foundation!
The 1 Dream Foundation provides youths from Africa, Europe and the Caribbean the opportunity to attend high school and college in the United States. Pulling from the NBA's Basketball without Borders concept, 1 Dream's focus is on helping basketball student-athletes, ages 15-17, to achieve the dream of coming to America to receive a strong education and to better both their own life, as well as provide for their family and friends back home.
Thanks to successful fundraising from events such as this one, each 1 Dream student receives the following:
· Complete Travel Expenses to the USA
· High School Education (Financial Aid Dependent)
· Health Insurance
· Complete Physical Exam
· ESL Courses (English as a 2nd Language)
· Cultural Immersion Programs
· SAT Prep Courses
· Monthly Stipend
· Clothing Allowance
· Fitness & Nutrition Courses
· Basketball Training
Over the past three years, The 1 Dream Foundation has helped sponsor the following projects.
· Tuition & expenses for eight Kenyan girls, four of whom are currently in college
· Tuition & expenses for two African college students currently studying in the USA
· Airfare to the USA for 16 “1 Dream” Students
· Health Insurance while in the USA for 16 “1 Dream” Students
· Summer Mentoring & Immersion program in California for 22 students
· ESL Classes for 22 students
· College scholarship assistance for six students
· Trip to South Africa (18 students and eight adults)
· Trip to Senegal & South Africa (14 students and six adults)
· Trip to Hong Kong & South Africa (10 students and three adults)
· Cultural visits to Hearst Castle, National Parks & major US Cities
· Summer Comedy Jam featuring DL Hughley & Jon Lovitz
· Youth basketball leagues, teams and tournaments for over 400 Central Coast youth
For more information visit 1 Dream Foundation's website.